Jacksonville City golf tournament postponed


Due to a lack of registrations, the Jacksonville City golf tournament, which was originally scheduled to start this weekend at the Links Golf Course, has been postponed.

Six golfers registered for the gross division, and 11 golfers registered for the net division. It wasn’t enough for a tournament.

“I don’t know if people are on vacation, or scared of COVID or what’s going on, but the numbers weren’t there for me to try to make this tournament a success,” the Links said. Golf Pro Keith Ward. “So we will postpone it to a later date.”

The annual tournament usually takes place over four days, over two consecutive weekends.

Ward said he was unaware of any conflicted golf outings that could have taken local players away from the popular tournament. Jacksonville High School golfer Brady Kaufmann, who was competing in a tournament in Florida earlier this week, has been signed up to play this weekend.

“I think a lot of it – especially those with kids, playing – I think it’s getting harder and harder for them to get by with back-to-back weekends linked,” Ward said. “I, having two children myself, I know what’s going on. There is sport, and everyone tries to take their vacation before school starts.

Some summer vacation may have been delayed this year, due to COVID. People had to be flexible with their travel plans.

“There is a lot of work to be done to set up the course and prepare for the tee times,” said Ward. “For less than 20 people for two divisions, when we normally have at least 40-50 entries before the week before (the tournament)… hopefully in a month or six weeks or so, whenever we finalize the next date , they sign up a bit earlier.

Ward plans to postpone the town tournament until late October or early November, and perhaps limit the tournament to just one weekend. “Hopefully the numbers will go up, and we’ll get it towards the end of the year here,” he said.

The numbers for the City Tournament were down a bit during the unusual summer of last year, with 15 golfers in the gross division and 18 in the net division (some golfers signing up for both divisions). Ward said COVID concerns have most likely reduced entries in 2020. Concerns over the recent spike in COVID cases could have made golfers think twice before entering this year.

“It was one of the few tournaments we had last year,” he said. “We only had five or six events last year. Watching the numbers go up again, you know, that could be the cause as well. “

Ward said he waited as long as he could before postponing this year’s tournament. He said some golfers subsequently told him they would have signed up. “I have groups out of town that have called for wanting tee times, and I’ve waited as long as possible, trying to fit them in as well,” Ward said. “I finally had to make a decision after Sunday that the numbers being as low as they were – we’ll try for a later date. It’s the only thing I can try to do.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.